Safe Sleep Education
The mission is to prevent infant sleep-related deaths by educating parents and caregivers on the importance of practicing safe sleep for their babies.
9 Steps for Safe Sleep
- Always place your baby to sleep on his or her back on a firm sleep surface.
- Never dress your baby too warmly for sleep; keep room temperature comfortable for an adult.
- Dress your baby to sleep in a one-piece sleeper or wearable blanket instead of loose blankets.
- Share the room not the bed. Your baby should only sleep in a crib, bassinet, or portable play yard.
- Remove all soft bedding, bumpers and toys from your baby's sleep area. Use only a tight fitted sheet.
- Do not expose your baby to smoke of any kind. Remember, cigarette and other smoke can linger on clothing.
- Visit your baby's pediatrician or provider regularly and stay up-to-date on your baby's immunizations.
- Breastfeed if possible. Breastfeeding lowers your baby's risk of SIDS by 50%.
- Offer a pacifier when putting baby to sleep.