The mission of the Department of Optometry is to conserve the fighting strength in the realm of vision care by providing the highest quality primary eye care to eligible patients within the constraints of available personnel, equipment, and facilities. The Department of Optometry includes a Primary Eyecare Residency program affiliated with Northeastern State University Oklahoma College of Optometry. Additionally, the Department of Optometry has the mission of training/supervising civilian student externs participating in the Senior Optometry Student Externship Program.
We are the Army Optometry Center of Excellence focused on duty and compassion, providing exceptional service with integrity.
Patients eligible for appointments in the Department of Optometry
- All active duty and active duty TRICARE Prime patients.
- Currently seeing active duty family members 5 years and older.
- Access for TRICARE Prime retirees and retiree Family members.
- TRICARE eligible patients enrolled in another military treatment facility who are on TDY or traveling needing acute care.
- TRICARE For Life.
- Routine eye exams.
- Order military eyewear.
- Exams for military physicals are performed on a walk-in basis during designated times.
- Evaluations for refractive surgery.
- Acute care
- New Patients: Referred by Primary Care Manager to appropriate optometry clinic, same day access available.
- Established Patients: Report to optometry clinic where routine care is received.
- Diabetic Eye Exams no longer require a referral from your Primary Care Manager.
Walk in hours are 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. at all optometry clinics
- Spectacle ordering, pick-up, and adjustment
- WTB Screenings
- MEDPROS Updates
- Drivers license screening
Comprehensive Primary Eye Care
- Comprehensive visual and ocular health assessments to include eye health, accommodative and binocular disorders, and prescriptions for glasses.
- Evaluation and treatment for ocular trauma and eye diseases such as glaucoma, keratoconus, dry eyes, conjunctivitis, keratitis, and blepharitis.
Limited Contact Lens Services
- Therapeutic contact lens fitting for existing medical diagnosis of eye disease.
- Cosmetic contact lens exams are not a TRICARE covered benefit; however, all Womack Optometrists are trained and licensed to complete contact lens exams. You can discuss contact lens options with your eye care provider during the Routine eye exams.
- Contact lens fitting possible on a case by case basis, if patient is currently wearing lenses, has the most recent prescription and at least one set of lenses. Please bring this information with you to your exam.
- Very limited initial fitting for first time contact lens candidates; at the doctor’s discretion.